Citizenship Documentation for PTK Scholarships

Kristin Ware -

Scholarships administered on Phi Theta Kappa’s website are open to students with a variety of citizenship statuses, and due to donor stipulations, applicants for all scholarship programs are required to provide proof of citizenship documentation at the time of application.  Note the citizenship status guidelines below per scholarship program:

  • All-USA Academic Team, New Century Pathway Scholarships, Guistwhite, Hites, and Hurst Review NCLEX® Scholarships allow for US Citizens/Nationals, US Permanent Residents, Temporary Residents, International Students attending US College with an F-1 Visa, PTK members enrolled in associate degree programs in Canada, PTK members enrolled in associate degree programs in a sovereign nation where a PTK chapter exists, Asylees, Cuban-Haitian Entrants, Humanitarian Parolees, and Refugee citizenship statuses.
  • Coca-Cola Academic Team, Coca-Cola Leaders of Promise, GEICO Pathway to Completion Scholarships, Tennessee Valley Authority, Trustmark Workforce Development, Mississippi Dowell Leadership, and Dr. Mary Hood Texas Region Scholarships allow for US Citizens/Nationals and US Permanent Resident citizenship statuses - generally following the same citizenship guidelines as the federal government in awarding student aid.
  • Global Leaders of Promise Scholarships, Pearson Scholarships for Higher Education, Richard L. Resurreccion, and Ronny J. Coleman Scholarships allow US Citizens/Nationals, Temporary Residents, International Students, and students who are members of PTK chapters outside of the United States to apply.
  • Oberndorf Lifeline to Completion Scholarship is open to all citizenship statuses.

The citizenship status and corresponding citizenship documents below are the ONLY acceptable forms of citizenship at this time as these guidelines are instituted by donor contracts.

  • US Citizen/National* (US Birth Certificate or US Passport)
  • US Permanent Resident* (Permanent Resident Card/Alien Registration Card ‘Green Card’, I-151 or I-551)
  • International Student attending college in the United States (F-1 Visa & valid I-20)
  • Temporary Resident (Employment Authorization Card I-766)
  • Asylee (Unexpired I-94 card with an Asylee stamp)
  • Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Unexpired I-94 card with a Cuban-Haitian Entrant stamp)
  • Humanitarian Parolee (Unexpired I-94 card with a Humanitarian Parolee stamp)
  • Refugee (Unexpired I-94 card with a Refugee stamp or Refugee Travel Document I-571)
  • Phi Theta Kappa member enrolled in an associate degree program in Canada (Canadian Birth Certificate or Canadian Passport)
  • Phi Theta Kappa member enrolled in an associate degree program in a sovereign nation where a Phi Theta Kappa chapter exists (Birth Certificate or Passport from the sovereign nation)

***Social Security Cards and Driver’s Licenses are NOT acceptable forms of documentation***

Citizenship Eligibility noted within the Scholarship Application pertains to scholarships directly administered by Phi Theta Kappa and does not confer, suggest or imply citizenship eligibility for scholarships administered and funded through All-State Academic Team Programs, which are administered and awarded by the respective state, nor does it confer, suggest or imply citizenship eligibility for transfer scholarships administered and funded by the four-year college or university.

Participating All-State Programs MAY accept nominees with varying citizenship statuses.  For more information about the citizenship statuses accepted for All-State Programs, contact your All-State Coordinator.

*Other Forms of Acceptable Documentation

  • Reentry Permit (I-327) - a permanent resident who intends to remain abroad for more than one year must acquire a Reentry Permit before leaving the US.
  • Form FS-240 Certificate of Birth by a Foreign Service Post - individuals born on foreign soil during parental service. (US Citizen)
  • Form N-560 or N-561 Certificate of Citizenship - individuals who derive US Citizenship through a parent. (US Citizen)
  • Form N-550 or N-570 Certificate of Naturalization - individuals who have been naturalized. (US Citizen)
Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.