Letters of Recommendation are a critical part of your scholarship application. Here are eight ways to help ensure you receive a strong recommendation:
- Identify someone who knows you well.
- Pay attention to the purpose of the recommendation, and read the instructions.
- Speak to recommenders early.
- Do not ask family, friends, or peers to write your recommendations.
- Provide the recommender with a copy of your application and/or a summary of your campus and community involvement.
- Let the recommender know details about the scholarship for which you are applying to help them customize their responses.
- Request a copy of the submitted information.
- Follow-up with a thank-you note.