The Golden Opportunity Scholarship is Phi Theta Kappa’s fee waiver designed to increase access to the benefits of membership by helping students pay for membership when they simply cannot afford it. This fee waiver puts membership within reach for 300 college students per award period, thanks to the generosity of Phi Theta Kappa advisors, members, alumni, donors and friends. This program will be open twice per year and will waive the $60 international membership fee.
Nominations for the Golden Opportunity Scholarship fall 2020 cycle will open September 1, 2020, and must be submitted by October 9, 2020, at 11:59 pm CT.
- Advisors may submit up to 3 student nominations per chapter for consideration.
- Nomination priority should be given to students who have demonstrated financial need.
- Students must be included on the chapter’s eligible member roster to be nominated.
- Emailed, mailed, or faxed nominations will not be considered.
- Part‐time, full‐time, and international students are eligible for nomination.
- Students with previous associate, bachelor's or master's degrees are eligible.
- Nominating students does not guarantee students will be selected as awardees.
Notification and Membership Acceptance
After the nomination period closes, we will start awarding 300 randomly selected students. All nominees identified as recipients will be emailed instructions to accept membership, and the discount will be automatically applied at check-out. Nominating advisors will be copied on the student’s notification message. Selected students will have two weeks to accept the Golden Opportunity Scholarship, or it will be awarded to another student. This process will continue until all waivers have been used.