The Golden Opportunity Scholarship is Phi Theta Kappa’s first fee waiver designed to increase access to the benefits of membership by helping students pay for membership when they simply cannot afford it. Phi Theta Kappa’s Golden Opportunity Scholarship is putting membership within reach for 300 college students through the generosity of Phi Theta Kappa advisors, members, alumni, donors and friends. This program will be open twice a year and will waive international membership fees.
Nominations for the Golden Opportunity Scholarship spring 2018 cycle will open on August 20, 2018 and must be submitted by September 24, 2018, at 5:00 pm CT.
- Advisors may submit up to 3 student nominations per chapter to be considered for this fee waiver each semester.
- Emailed, mailed or faxed nominations will not be considered.
- Nominating students for this award is not a guarantee that each nominee will be selected to receive this fee waiver.
- Nominated students must be included on the chapter’s eligible member roster to be nominated.
- Part‐time, full‐time and international students are eligible for nomination.
- Students with previous associate, bachelor's or master's degrees are eligible.
- Nomination priority should be given to students who are financially needy.
Notification and Membership Acceptance
The initial 100 nominees will be notified within a few days of nomination. After the initial 100 have been awarded, the remaining 200 recipients will be randomly selected from the pool of nominees after the nomination period has closed. All nominees identified as recipients will be emailed instructions to accept membership, and the discount will be automatically applied at check-out. Recipients will be notified by the end of September 2018, and advisors will be copied on the student notification message. Selected students will have 2 weeks to accept the Golden Opportunity Scholarship, or it will be awarded to another student.